Sunday, August 2, 2009

Technology for All

After reading the two articles on Technology issues in the classroom, I think that the use of technology is absolutely dependent on the community in which you teach. I agree that students need a knowledge of technology in order to succeed in our current world, and I think teachers have to do the best they can with the resources they have. If outside connectivity is a problem for students, teachers have to do their best to schedule time in the computer labs, and to offer students the knowledge even if they can't provide the application. For example, most classrooms have at least a teacher's computer with internet. It is possible for a teacher to hook this computer up to a projector and to provide tutorials on different programs. It may not always be possible to allow every student to master every program, but at least teachers can give students some idea of how these programs work.

The truth is, I don't know what the solution is for schools with problems with outside access. It seems that teachers would be forced, like or not, to assign a limited amount of technological projects. What teacher can provide, regardless of their students' access, is information about technological resources that students can use to expand their technological fluency. For example, many community colleges and vocational schools offer computer workshops that students can attend either for free or for a small sign-up fee. By connecting students with resources outside of schools, teachers are also showing students the importance of advocating for themselves and doing what's necessary to reach their full potential.

I don't think technological assignments should be completely forgone because a few students do not have the access necessary. I would encourage those students to complete their projects using school technology, and would do my best to provide them with in-class time to do so. However, if the work had to be done at home, I undoubtedly believe that an alternate assignment would need to be provided. Does this suck? Yes. But, I don't think that these students should be more inconvenienced and stressed than their peers just because they do not have the same access to technology. Unfortunately, technology is still very expensive in our society, and requiring students to complete online work when they don't have the same resources, in my mind, is absolutely an inequality. If a student came to me with this problem, and we couldn't find a reasonable solution, I would provide an alternate, but beneficial, assignment.

I don't think there is a lot that teachers can do to increase access for students who are disadvantaged other than connect them to local resources that may be able to provide them with the technology they need. Connecting students with local libraries, internet cafes, etc. may be helpful if students don't have the resources at home. Teachers can also make the community aware of the shortage that schools are experiecing and create funds to provide low income students with the technology they need. This of course would have to be a community effort, but it is teachers who are in the position to spearhead these projects.

3 comments:

  1. I really agree with you about the use of just one computer and having a projector project the image of your screen up onto the wall for all the students to see. This way it's only using one computer, so the issue of availability is less, and also they are still being involved with technology in some way. Good point!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is so important that we tackle this issue as a nation and not school by school or community by community. We talk a lot in education about equity and I believe having access to technology resources is a huge equity issue. I grew up in a very small rural community with no library, but the bookmobile would come to my town and I would load up with books. Maybe we can have mobile tech labs that go from place to place. Maybe far fetched, but who knows?
    In our current information age all students need to utilize technology and become familiar with its usage themselves. It is not good enough for us to use it with them watching, otherwise they will be left behind in the work world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great idea Pat, a mobile tech lab! They already have things like that, but not for that purpose. Great thinking.

    Lindsay; I also think you are totally right on having to assign an alternate project if not every student has access. it's kind of like the pod cast assignment; I didn't have the technology to do that assignment and it made it really difficult because I had to rely on others to do it.

    ReplyDelete