Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Using Blogs in the Classroom

After reading "Don't Feed The Trolls" and exploring Mr. H's math blog, I have conflicting feelings about using blogs in the classroom. The positives of this technique are numerous. The article helped me to see what students can learn by using blogs for civil discourse. Perhaps most importantly, students learn how to appropriately address other people's opinions without attacking the person. This is a skill that students will need throughout their lives, and one that many young people do not learn in their classes. I've found academic debates often turn into shouting matches in high schools. However, by using blogs, student posts can be monitored and revised if not appropriate. Having to type their responses also gives students more time to think and reflect about what they want to say.

The math blog also had many postive aspects. For one, it offered videotaped lessons that students could access at home if they got stuck on the homework, or needed to review before a test. This is a great resource that students can utilize anywhere. It also offered skill building exercises, such as puzzles and games, that may encourage students to practive their math.

Although I found many positives, I was also forced to think about the negatives of using a blog in the classroom. I think the most obvious negative is that not all students have the same access to technology. Some do not have internet at home, or do not have fast enough internet to utilize blogs. Although technology is offered at school and the public library, I don't think it's fair to expect lengthy assignments to be submitted on a blog. This would require those without computers/internet at home to spend extra time at school just to complete the assigned work. Another negative of using blogs is the amount of work necessary for the teacher. It takes a lot of time to consistently update blogs and respond to any posts that students may make. The time required is certainly a consideration when deciding whether or not to utilize this option.

I think the best way to use blogs in the classroom would be to use them in conjunction with an assignment, not as an assignment. I think I would provide students with a blog that they could access if they so chose, but would not require them to do so, much as Mr. H did. With this arrangement, resources could be provided on the blog so that students could access them if they wanted. For those with less access to technology, they could choose to access the information at school or simply complete their assignment without it. The blog would just be a place for students to search for answers to questions they might have or to brush up on subjects we had already covered.

1 comment:

  1. Great stuff! A very thoughtful analysis that brought up two troubling issues. The first is the idea of the digital devide. The question of if it is fair to do a blog, if not all the students have access to the technology. The second is simply the added time demand of running a blog in addition to regular teaching duties.

    ReplyDelete